Friday, December 2, 2016

When it’s International Day of Persons with Disabilities you have no choice

Since 1992, International Day of Persons with Disabilities has been celebrated annually on December 3 throughout the world.

The theme this year is “Achieving 17 Goals for the Future We Want”. This notes the recent adoption of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals and the role of these goals in building a more inclusive and equitable world for persons with disabilities. This year’s objectives include assessing the current status of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and laying the foundation for a future of greater inclusion for persons with disabilities.

Once again I am left with that blank expression on my face. What does it all mean? Do I really care? Couldn’t there be a theme that is more appealing to society and God forbid people with disability and their families?

But if you think this is going to turn into a negative rant about International Day of People with Disability, you’re wrong. Spending 6 years working in a Council definitely changed my perspective. More importantly though it’s my friendship with Alisha where I gained a greater appreciation for the day.

I met Alisha during my time at Council and it’s impossible for me to not think about her on December 3. Even though this year it happens on a Saturday I am sure she is somewhere doing something meaningful. She has told me many times it’s one of her favourite days of the year. I am so impressed with what she’s said that it’s on my to do list to one year spend the day with her.

Through Alisha the resentment I had towards the day has subsided. I am too stubborn to let it disappear. Now my frustration and disappointment is more focused. In my opinion International Day should be like a public holiday.

The human rights aspect, the eternal struggle, let’s put it all side for one day. How about the world is a better place because people with disability are in it? Without doubt highlight what people with disability are achieving in all forms of life. Not just athletes with disability.

And what about the wonderful disability sector. Attendant care agencies in particular could do so much. Free passes to screenings of films about disability. Have a guest speaker talk to the people you manage. Combine with an employment service to showcase opportunities for people with disability. The options are endless and while there will be plenty going on it’s not enough. This year I only received one invitation to an event. That’s incredibly disheartening.

Because as content as I am I never lose sight of the fact that people with disability need assurances. International Day is the perfect time to give these assurances. To show the world, people with disability and their families what can be done rather than what can’t.

And obviously it’s alright to be disabled. It’s actually more than alright. I will drive myself mad proving this. I am dedicated to this every day but it’s nice to have a reminder every December 3.

So as always happy international Day to you Dale. Accept that we are wheelchair brothers for life.

And Alisha I should write a blog about your wedding day at some point. Until I do just this one story, which sums up everything.

I just made it in time for Alisha’s wedding, somehow finding a position where I could see without being disruptive. This is always difficult particularly when you don’t know anybody. Not being traditional Alisha and now husband Simon seemingly came out of nowhere and are at the stage area ready to go. As a man and someone with disability my biggest fear is whether I have an impact on people so what happened next is something I’ll never forget.

Right before the wedding started Alisha looks at me and asks if I got there alright. She then asks if I can I see properly. I nodded quickly thinking for goodness sake get back to getting married. Needless to say our friendship is a little significant.

 Happy International Day Alisha, wish I was with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment