Tuesday, July 9, 2019

LORD Live At The Evelyn



LORD are one of the premier live bands in Australia. It’s always a pleasure to see them because they don’t get to Melbourne as often as I would like. Of course this time it was at the Evelyn, which isn’t the best place I have ever been to.

It’s become impossible to be unbiased towards LORD in recent times. This is because I am on more than a first name basis with their bassist Andy Dowling. I recently interviewed him for this blog, which was a rewarding experience. Adding to the appeal I caught up with him before they played. He gave me my pre order of their new album Fallen Idols and we mostly talked basketball. I could have left happy after that.

However I was there to see LORD. They kicked off with Footsteps In The Sand, which isn’t a killer opening track. This performance though summed up the quality of their music. There was three new songs with the title track probably being the best of them. From the Dungeon era they played One Step Beyond. This was a pleasant surprise as I love that album. They also did Tarranno Del Mar, which is a personal favourite. For mind though Set In Stone was probably the highlight of the set. The crowd definitely reacted to it and it’s so much better live. They ended with Through The Fire, which came all too quickly for my liking.

LORD are at a point in their career where it’s tough to put everything into their set. I would have liked to hear Digital Lies but it’s hard to fault what they did play. Struggling to have all the songs fit in the one set list is a nice problem to have and this is the case with LORD. Time to convince them to play an hour and a half.

After the gig Andy promised me they would return to Melbourne in summer. I’m already looking forward to it and it gives me time to get familiar with Fallen Idols.

Set list

The Dreaming
Footsteps In The Sand
Immortal
One Step Behind
Netherlife
Fallen Idols
Reborn
Kill Or Be Killed
Tarranno Del Mar
Set In Stone
Through The Fire


No comments:

Post a Comment