Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Interview with Emily Thehead

Photo credit: Ester Segarra
The Corner Hotel always provides lifelong memories. Firewind, Sabaton and Accept all standout but It’s not always the music. Sometimes it’s simply meeting people, like the time I met Emily Thehead.

We met after witnessing a stack of older metal bands from Melbourne. I was on my way out towards the bar when I hear Emily yell “I’ll race ya” as she took off towards the door. To make it even more interesting I catch up with her and we immediately talk about Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Comparing the two is one of my favourite discussions to have so I was definitely enjoying myself. Unfortunately the conversation didn’t last long but thanks to Facebook we have been able to stay in contact.

Just as well to because Emily actually lives in Sweden so she as you will see below gets to work at Sweden Rock. Seeing as how it’s one of my dreams to get there I am slightly envious of this.

Anyway I have been keen to get back into writing and I noticed that Emily is about to embark on a extraordinary journey. She is about to start the LEGACY OF THE BREAST tour, which goes from July 17 to September 15, 2019. Given this I decided to interview her to get her thoughts on the tour, her movie and of course Iron Maiden. Enjoy and most importantly up the irons!

What got you into heavy metal?

Woah, believe it or not, for me this is a super complex and deeply philosophical question. But, for simplicities sake, I’ll break it down to the basics: the music (obviously), the aesthetics, and the deeper, intangible connection I feel to it. Though if I had to put it down to a memory, two spring to mind. When I heard Queen for the first time at around 3 or 4 years of age (the epic rock n’ roll breakout in ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ in particular), and then a few years later when I watched the ‘November Rain’ video clip by Guns N’ Roses. I became utterly obsessed with that video clip because it made complete and total sense to me – everything from their clothes, the imagery, the story…I was captivated from the moment I first watched it and have never looked back since.

What is it about Iron Maiden that makes them your favourite band?

Again, a paradoxically simple yet difficult question – especially since there are many answers, but again I’ll keep it simple. I think there’s something monumental and magnificent about their musicianship – they go deeper than just being a band writing “great songs”. There’s some sort of transcendental quality about the music that manages to penetrate my essence and move me in ways no other thing, let alone music, can. Having said that, another reason why I love them so much is for their humour, intelligence, and humility – in that they would probably read my former paragraph and think I was exaggerating. Rest assured, I’m not.

Do you have a favourite era of the band?

Pretty much the entire 1980s era because I think their clothes were majestic and have influenced how I dress in every way! Whilst I of course think all of their albums are excellent in their own unique way, the first seven really maintain the band’s foundation. The bottom of the pyramid, so to speak.

You have quite the Iron Maiden collection what are some of your favourites from it and what would you like to have that you haven’t got yet?

Don’t be fooled! If you’re referring to the location where I filmed the promo video for my fundraiser – as much as I’d love for it to be my place, it’s unfortunately not. It’s actually my friend Rasmus Stavnsborg’s house; he’s a Guinness World Record holder for biggest Iron Maiden collection in the world. When I visited his place, I could barely contain myself – his collection is absolutely, positively insane! It was an honour and privilege to be amongst such artefacts and I yearn to return!

What other bands do you like?

A lot. At the risk of sounding boring, I mainly love the classics of select musical genres – everything from Deep Purple to Depeche Mode, both of whom I listen to a lot. There’s also a lot of underground bands I get into, ranging from obscure black metal to industrial – but I have to be pretty selective and careful about listening to certain bands and certain music due to being very sensitive to it. I take music and the influence it has over my life extremely seriously.


You get to work at Sweden Rock, how did this come about?

One of my regular jobs is at Sweden’s most iconic and internationally renowned jazz and blues bar. I guess the manager for the Sweden Rock bar saw me working one day and was impressed enough to ask me to work at one of the busiest bars at Sweden Rock festival – which was a plus for me since it’s set perfectly between the two main stages.

What have been some of your favourite concerts?

I saw Richie Blackmore’s Rainbow recently and it was absolutely amazing. They played all of the classics and their vocalist totally nailed the Dio songs. Def Leppard at the same festival also blew me away – I lost my voice from screaming along with all the lyrics. Other than that, I saw Root, Tormentor, and Grim Reaper play a few months ago and they made such an impression on me that I couldn’t stop talking about them for days afterwards. And, of course, Iron Maiden’s Legacy of the Beast show last year -– I’d seen Maiden play before, but this show in particular was what catapulted me from being a mega-fan to a total die-hard!

You’re making a film called Keeping Abreast, what will this be about?

Fingers crossed we make it! Funding is our biggest issue at the moment, but we’ve recently made some applications so here’s to hoping. I’ve lost my mother, grandmother, and aunt to breast cancer and have myself tested positive to having the BRCA-1 genetic mutation. Basically, the film will be about my journey in trying to understand how female breasts are perceived across cultures, since I’ll be removing my own in a preventative double mastectomy. I’ve kind of tried to steer away from the film being about “me” per se, but it seems I am the “product” and there’s always a need to follow a protagonist in a story.

Your life has been deeply impacted by breast cancer, how much does the world still need to learn about the disease?

That’s difficult to say, you know? On the one hand, I feel like EVERYONE basically knows what it is and how devastating of an illness it is – since the likelihood of someone knowing someone who knows someone with it is extremely high. But then the conspiracy theorist in me sometimes thinks that since it’s a women’s issue, a lot of males are uncomfortable talking about it beyond the basics. Even from personal experience, the most awkward and weird responses I’ve had when I’ve told someone about my breasts and having them removed have always come from men, never women.

In July you embark on the LEGACY OF THE BREAST tour what made you decide to do this?

After seeing Maiden six times last year, I fell into a mild state of mania and decided it was the greatest show of all time and that I needed to see it again. Parallel to this, I also knew my impending operation is coming up and I kind of wanted to do as many shows as possible while I was still “whole”, if that makes sense? That, plus I’ll use any excuse to travel since I love exploring this planet!



You will see Iron Maiden 24 times whilst on tour are you hoping they’ll mix up their set list just for you?

Well, I know for a fact they won’t. And that’s okay! I knew that when I booked all of the tickets and, to be honest, I think that’s great anyway. I even have a few regrets that I’m not going to enough shows. A lot of people think I’m crazy for seeing the same show over and over again but, as I say to them, “It’s better than a heroin addiction.”

You have created a fundraiser to coincide with the tour where the proceeds go to Club de la Mama INEN Neoplásicas in Peru., what is it about Peru that made you do this?

I’ve been to Peru four times, and that place has truly had a spiritually beneficial impact on me. Without getting too personal, I can say that my experiences there have definitely saved my life and helped me become the person I am today. Sadly, it’s not exactly the richest country in the world and I feel like I really wanted to give something back to it, if even on a small scale. I’m just really lucky that in the country I live in (and the country where I was born), I have access to excellent medical treatment and the preventative double mastectomy is basically free of charge – including reconstruction, should I choose to get it. Every now and then I remember there are women in Peru in the same predicament, or worse, as me, who don’t have access to the same medical treatment. It’s awful.

For those that will follow your journey on Instagram what can they expect?

Well, I’ll be posting every single day about all of the adventures and fun stuff that happens along the way. I’m going to 24 shows; 22 cities; 15 states; 3 provinces and 2 countries – all within an 8-week period, mind you. That’s pretty insane! I will be documenting as much as possible – I’m a very curious spirit so, besides all things Maiden, people can expect to see me wandering through graveyards, obscure historic landmarks, and no doubt getting up to all sorts of mischief!

You’ll also be covering the tour for a German magazine, how did this come about?

My friend owns and runs the best German magazine for heavy and extreme metal; Deaf Forever. We’d been exchanging emails about Iron Maiden (of course) and after I told him what I was doing, he asked me to write a tour report.

What are you planning to do after the tour finishes?

You mean after the torrential waves of crippling depression? Haha! Why saving up for the next tour, of course!

To support Emily’s  LEGACY OF THE BREAST tour go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment